Thursday, May 16, 2013

Star Trek Into Darkness

Star Trek Into Darkness is the sequel to the 2009 reboot of the classic Star Trek franchise. It stars people, has a plot and even an ending. This will be such a brief review because I had so many problems with it as a Trek fan, but as a film on its own, its a thrilling and tense summer blockbuster with some dazzling special effects, high octane action sequences, a breath taking performance by Benedict Cumberbatch and I would equate it to the likes of Die Hard, and Speed. In fact, I jokingly stated that the third film will be titled "Star Trek With A Vengeance". I loved the first 2 acts. The film glided along at a smooth and competent pace with  some very appropriately stylish cinematography. It really felt like the halfway point between classic Trek and the J.J Abrams Trek. Its a good mix, but my major complaint with the film can't really be discussed without spoiling the film. But I will say, they could have done something really clever and taken a big risk that I think would have rewarded the filmmakers and the studio, but instead they tried to please the casual Star Trek fans that have minimal knowledge of the franchise. The filmmakers tried to do some fun role reversal, but it came off as forced and stale. The 2009 Star Trek felt really fresh, because Star Trek was presented in a way we haven't really seen it before, whereas this one recycled far too many previous ideas. I rolled my eyes so many times at all the missed attempts, or as this film called them "homages". I could go on and on for hours about how I could make this a better story, but that isn't the point, because the film, as it stands, is a well directed, well written (as a blockbuster) and very well acted sci fi action film, with just the right amount of action, emotion and drama to make the film work as a whole, even if the third act suffers from "should have ended syndrome". So, if you are looking for a fun summer blockbuster made with competency, check this out, or Iron Man 3. The first 2 acts are really great and surpass that of its predecessor, but I can't help but feel wanting and wondering "what if?" at the third act.
    -L.K

Facebook.com/LukasKrycekComedy
Twitter @TheLukasKrycek

1 comment:

  1. Nice review Lukas. There's plenty of substantial stuff like Kirk and Spock's friendship who really made me feel like they had something going for them both together.

    ReplyDelete