Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Under The Skin


What I've learned from Scottish film makers: Babies must die. Under The Skin is a sci-fi thriller about an alien (Scarlet Johansson) who prays on young men in Scotland and harvests them? Question mark? Maybe. You may think that was strange that I don't know what exactly was done, but that was kind of the point of the film; nothing is told exactly to the audience, but rather is allowed for the viewers to piece it together, themselves. The film had no exposition and was a perfect example of "visual storytelling". It's a great thinking film, and I don't recommend it to people that prefer action films. It really reminded me of Star Trek: The Motion Picture, at times, which is funny because both movies have a similar poster. If you like to be stimulated on an intellectual level, I think you will really enjoy this, other than that, this film may be a bit too much for you. This is the kind of film that I like, but you may not have the same taste as me. It's dark, brutal, has some dicks, and most of it is open to interpretation. That's the best part of it, is that it is a film that you talk about after its finished. It is very memorable, has a lot of interesting ideas and was perfectly executed. It's not my favorite movie of the year from a viewer stand point, but it is my favorite film of the year from an artistic stand point. I applaud Jonathon Glazier for the risks he took and his willingness to put what he wanted in a film and not care about making anyone uncomfortable. I will say: see this at your own risk, but I think your gamble will pay off
    -L.K
Follow me on Twitter @TheLukasKrycek
Like me at Facebook.com/LukasKrycekComedy

No comments:

Post a Comment